Friday, October 3, 2008

A Wink and a Smile...



So, last night The Office was not on and instead the network aired the Vice Presidential Debate between Gov. Sarah Palin and Sen. Joseph Biden. I was disappointed but took comfort in the fact that presidential politics are almost as funny or funnier that most sitcoms on TV today. When the debate was over, I thought both did well. Biden avoided any major gaffes and Palin didn’t repeat the embarrassing performance she put on in the Katie Couric interview. I think Palin helped her ticket and those that were supporting her before the debate, were pleased to see her hold her own.

For me what was most interesting about the debate was Palin herself. My favorites came down to three observations:

First, I thought it was interesting that she started out by making it clear that she wasn’t all that interested in answering the questions posed by the moderator. Maybe that’s part of being a maverick…showing up for a debate, but deciding not to debate and just go over the standard stump speech, mixed with prepared comments that have been drilled into her head by the campaign leading up to the debate. Her direct quote was…"I may not answer the questions that either the moderator or you want to hear, but I'm going to talk straight to the American people and let them know my track record". When she said this…I literally laughed out loud. Why even come to the debate then?

Second, I tried to keep track of the number of times she said “maverick”. I lost track. This might be a new pattern…just repeat the same word over and over. For Obama, it’s the word “change”. For Palin, it’s “maverick”. And John McCain, it’s “General David Petraus”. In the first presidential debate, I thought maybe Petraus had replaced Palin as McCain’s running mate.

Third, I was curious to see Palin use such down home language throughout the debate and when addressing such serious national issues. A few examples:
Regarding Tax cuts: "Darn right, we need tax relief"
A barometer for the strength of our economy: "I'll betcha go to a kids' soccer game on Saturday and turn to any parent there on the sideline."
On the cause of the mortgage crisis: "Darn right, it was the predator lenders."

I mean, between the “bless their hearts”, “say it ain’t so”, “I’m gonna”, “I’ll betcha”, “darn right” and “dog gone” quips, there were plenty of winks to the camera. It was endearing in a way, but almost felt like she was playing a part or character rather than showcasing to the country that she is prepared if called to step in and serve as the leader of the free world.

But who knows. John McCain says that out of the entire Republican Party, she is best prepared and equipped to be a heartbeat away from the Presidency…I guess we as a people will determine if we agree.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Dude, you missed the shout out to the third graders!

I like your comments.

newarkbrooke said...

i thoroughly enjoy the latest comments, phil-o. after what i witnessed this morning, i'm surprised ryan hasn't come through the computer to fire back against joe biden.
;)

Geoff Kasler said...

Thank goodness someone else saw her as ridiculous. Exactly, why even come to a debate? I also very much enjoyed the dialogue tonight at Honor's Seminar. The best thing about it was that you showed significant differences of opinion all from Christian perspectives. That was quite refreshing because so many students at Mount Vernon see being a christian as being a political conservative who fits the cookie cutter mold. It is ok to have differences even within a denomination.

Ryan Schmitz said...

Maybe Sarah Palin with make a cameo on the Office tonight. That would be cool.

Justin said...

This blog has yet to be updated this week. Are we going back on a "campaign promise"?