Friday, October 26, 2007

Good Theology



I’m not a huge fan of discussing theology and reading the ramblings of religious scholars. Its not that I don’t think theology is important, its just that I feel like when we hold our theories and best understandings to the light of God’s truth and wisdom, they resemble the scribbles my kids draw on restaurant placemats. Along those same lines, I am convinced that children have a more clear and accurate understanding of God than we do. In fact my own children have shared thoughts with me that I believe are more profound that much of what I will hear in a month of sermons. Here are two examples:

About a year ago, we had a cat that had a litter of kittens, two of which died shortly after birth. Houston my 5 year old son (4 at the time) asked what happened to the kittens. I explained that they died and he said, “Its ok daddy. When we die, we go to heaven and God fixes us.”

And just today on the way to work, Houston was asking why God doesn’t talk to us. To this, Ashton my 3 year old, replied: “Houston, sometimes we can’t here God because it’s too noisy.”

I couldn’t agree more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff.

:::: Travis Keller :::: said...

while i agree with the notion the children have some remarkable things, i can't help but notice that you are talking theology in a post that says you don't like talking theology. interesting. maybe because EVERYTHING in one way or another is theology.

Phil O. said...

We all have to do things we don't enjoy doing from time to time. As for everything being theology... I'm just going to hope that's not the case.

Sarah said...

Folly is bound up in the heart of a child. Proverbs 22:15

Jesus however said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them; for it is to those who are childlike that the Kingdom of the Heavens belongs." Matthew 19:14

Theological paradox?